Sunday, August 22, 2010

WTF England

So I flew directly from Raleigh to Heathrow airport in London. I've always considered England to be a country of allies, based on the fact that we share a language and love for Pride and Prejudice.  Sure, there was a bit of ugliness back in the 1700s, but forgive and forget, yes?

NO.  Apparently England still has a huge stick up its ass. That is the only reason I can fathom for the prices they charged for food in this airport.  Twenty dollars for one half of a glorified egg McMuffin?  Bullshit. And they try to disguise it with their tricky dollars to pounds conversion.  Well I won't fall for it (again)!

Complaints aside (Egg McFuckingMuffin) my trip went relatively well.  Objectively, it was funny to lug about 200 pounds of crap up and down train station staircases. But I arrived safely and on time, so all's well.  Yesterday was my first day in Freiburg, and we went into the inner city. They have a pretty extensive farmer's market there every day, and the Muenster is a cool, 700 year old church at the center. I had a few pictures of aforementioned coolness but managed to delete them from my camera somehow, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I'm staying with a host family for the next two weeks, Gitta and Phillip.  I can understand almost everything they say, but I think they might be simplifying and enunciating for me, which I appreciate.  But when people speak in the southern German dialect I just have to nod and smile, and have probably agreed to multiple offensive things at this point. 

Let's see if I can upload some pictures here...


That's the view out of my bedroom window. And the internet here is super slow, so I'ma stop there.

1 comment: